Delta, CO, September 9, 2019 –
GMUG Fire and Fuels Crews will begin prescribed burning operations on the WIMP 5 project area, as early as September 12, or as conditions allow.
- The project area is located nine miles southeast of Norwood, CO, south of Goodenough Road (NFSR #516).
- Approximately 850 acres are planned for treatment with aerial ignitions.
- Objectives for burning operations include: increasing the resiliency and reproduction of native ponderosa pine stands, protecting adjacent private property from the spread of catastrophic, unplanned wildfires and reducing slash from mechanical treatments.
- One day of ignition is planned, the project area will be patrolled and monitored for several days following ignition.
- Caution is advised as smoke will likely be visible in and around Norwood and near Divide Road (NFSR #402), Davewood Road (NFSR #510) and Highway 550.
For information and updates on prescribed burns, wildfires and fire restrictions on National Forest System lands and other areas, call the Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests Fire Information line at 970.874.6602, visit the GMUG Forest website (www.fs.usda.gov/gmug), Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GMUGFireInfo or Twitter: https://twitter.com/GMUG_NF.
For more information on how smoke may affect your health, please visit:https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/wood-smoke-and-health.